St. James-Santee Parish Church
Built circa 1768, the St. James-Santee Parish Church, locally known as the “Old Brick Church” served as the center of activity on Sunday for residents for miles and miles and around. Old Georgetown Road, formerly known as the “King’s Highway”, remains an unpaved dirt road carving through the forest, just as it was when it served as the main road of coastal travel dating back to pre-revolutionary times.
A more conveniently located church for the residents of McClellanville was built in 1890 to serve the same congregation. This church, known as the “Chapel of Ease”, can be found in the heart of McClellanville on Oak Street. This churches congregation still holds a service each year at the Old Brick Church to keep this holy place sacred.
Directions: From Hwy 17, head west on Hwy 45 for 2.2 miles. Turn Right on to Old Georgetown Road and travel for 3.7 miles. Church will be on the left.
Notes: This landmark is open to the public during daylight hours. Please be respectful to this national treasure and act carefully on the grounds and within the church.